You have probably heard about William Shakespeare, a really famous English writer, who is the author of Romeo & Juliet, Hamlet and Macbeth. But, did you know that he invented more than 1,700 words in English? Let's have a look to his incredible work and his contribution to English language.
William Shakespeare lived for 52 years and, during that time, he wrote more than 30 plays, 150 sonnets, and 4 books of poems. He was a very prolific writer. But he went further and created about 1,700 new words in English! He turned nouns into verbs, verbs into adverbs... and joined words which had never been used together before! Words as usual as birthplace, bedroom, lonely or majestic were his invention! And he also created some expressions: for goodness sake, naked truth, break the ice...
Some names for women also became popular thanks to Shakespeare's works: Jessica, Miranda, Olivia or Celia.
But that's not all! Now, let's have a look to some of the most famous quotes by Shakespeare and their translations into Spanish. We are sure you know most of them!
- To be or not to be... That's the question. – Ser o no ser... Esa es la cuestión. (Macbeth)
- A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. - La rosa no dejaría de ser rosa, y de esparcir su aroma, aunque se llamase de otro modo.
- There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - No hay nada bueno ni malo, es el pensamiento humano el que lo hace parecer así. (Hamlet)
- What's done cannot be undone. - Lo hecho, hecho está. (Macbeth)
- Thus with a kiss I die. - Con un beso muero. (Romeo and Juliet)
Do you still think Shakespeare was not a genius? :-)